Sunday, December 9, 2007

Get Everyone on the Same Page to Move Forward

On Friday I went to a presentation at AJ's school called "Supporting the Growth of Positive Behavior in Young Children". Great information from a wonderful resource in Illinois, Star Net Region II http://www.thecenterweb.org/ 1-224-366-8579. The school provided babysitting and at the end of the presentation KJ and AJ were brought into the room. The aide, JD, worked with AJ on zippering his coat. As I watched I realized she was teaching different then I was teaching. Which may be different then the way my wife is teaching, and his grandparents may have a different approach. No wonder AJ still can't zip his coat. AJ needs one way taught across every environment, he will learn with consistency and reinforcement. We gave him different methods in different environments. I have to create a sheet with the goal to teach, the steps involved, the words to use, and the prompts to use. With everyone using the same methods to teach the basics AJ will progress much faster, his frustration level will decrease, his confidence will increase.

No comments: