Saturday, January 26, 2008

PB&J the GF/CF way

I used 4 knives to make two PB&J's for my two kids. AJ is gluten-free, casein-free, KJ is not. We are carefull to avoid cross contamination of the peanut butter and jelly jars. Usually I make AJ's sandwich completely before starting on KJ's. Then I carefully drop the needed PB&J onto her bread, without touching the bread, then finish by spreading it out. The knife never contacts her wheat containing bread until I'm done using it to get the PB&J out of the jar. But today KJ asked, "Why does AJ always get to be first? I want to be first today." She struggles with seeing AJ's extra help and attention, but not having the understanding of why. I can't imagine how she's feeling to know there's a difference, but not knowing why. It's all she's ever known. So I made hers first. I spread the peanut butter and realised I needed a new knife for the jelly. Spread the jelly and got a new knife for AJ's sandwich. As I was spreading his jelly, she asked me to cut her sandwich, I did. And I needed the fourth knife to finish up his sandwich. I'm just glad we don't have a super sensitive kid that can't even have the crumbs from wheat near him.

No comments: